Monday, July 24, 2006

In answer to my question posed last weekend, we've gotten great responses from Analog Kid and an ex-USMC. I'm going to reprint the Marine's comment, hopefully with his wishes:

Wow! Do I feel old. The problem you've illustrated with your cartridge photo is
one that all of us older 1911 lovers knew for decades, but noone fixed. The
ejection port is simply too small! Thats why smiths for the last 30 years, and
manufacturers also, have been lowering and lengthening the ejection port. You
should see what my original 1911, made in 1918, does to brass! You'd cry at the
fold it puts in the case mouth


The problem is one that has been going on for 100 years, I guess. If I was an enterprising fucker I would have compared the USGI to a modern 1911. I've also read this before, so I should have been able to call it.

Below is a picture of a modern Colt Commander next to the USGI. The Commander is on the bottom and the USGI is the upper one. It's obvious that the ejection port is massively different.

I was being lazy and uninformed and y'all figured it out. Thank you.

1911 Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?