Thursday, October 12, 2006

Combat Pistol

Below is a picture of the shit I will be packing. I'm taking the Old Man's Gold Cup, my Springfield GI, and a Colt Commander along with the new gun leather I've been trying to break in. I've also got about 18 magazines.

Starts at 9:00 in morning and I have been instructed to bring 800 rounds of ammo for the first day. The class did not fill up, so it appears it will only be 5 students and the instructor. I've never been in a group that small, but I think the advantages will be immediately apparent.

Hopefully everyone has their shit together, as I was muzzle-swept enough during my concealed-carry class.

Kevin at Cerbral Misfire has done some soul-searching and wrangling with the concept of a 1911 as a carry gun. Read his post carefully, as he brings up some salient points on carry weapons. In comments on the last post, he asked that I inquire about Condition 1 and Condition 2 carry, as that seems to be his main concern with this model firearm. I am only too happy to oblige because I've heard a lot of crap about this from civilians, but this will be my first time spending two days with a Gunsite instructor.

As an aside, I met with the instructor several weeks ago for some advice on kitchen table gunsmithing. The guy showed me his favorite gun, which was a 1911 of course. He'd put 150,000 rounds of ammo through it, changed the barrel once, and had it parkerized twice. Thing looks like it has been sand-blasted and left on the surface of the moon for a couple years. While examining my father's Gold Cup he said, "Haven't got a whole lot of rounds through this thing, have you?" My father responded, "I've got about 5,000 through it, so it's pretty well broken in." Gunsite dude replied, "Yeah, but nothing like 50,000." Gentleman seems to be hardcore.

Guns and Gear Posted by Picasa

Comments:
Sounds like fun. You've got some nice pieces to play with, it looks like.

The Springfield GI has intrigued me. I've been wanting to pick one up for awhile now, seems like a nice piece for low cost. I'm curious what you think of it, after you've put it through combat paces beside the other two.

My very first auto was an old Combat Commander, which still is one of the best guns I've ever shot.

Thanks for the inquiry on Conditions 1 and 2, I'm really looking forward to hear what the pros have to say about it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?