Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Untidy Suicide of Common Sense

Last night my girlfriend came over to my house. Not a rare occurrence, as she lives in a shithole.

Apparently, with the monsoon rains, her ground-floor apartment had flooded. She attempted to clean the shit up and slipped. She is, no doubt, a fragile specimen. She fucked up her knee.

Regardless, I drank a couple of beers with the Old Man and walked back to my place. I found her nearly in shock and with her kneecap in a place it shouldn't be.

Now y'all might remember that I'm still under indictment for DUI, and my coffee table looks the same as it did a week ago, or whatever.

My first instinct was to freak out and call 911. The chick's knee was not where it was supposed to be. I reflected further (read panic), and thought about the ramifications. I'm under indictment; with any booze on my breath I could be incarcerated. Driving her to the hospital was out of the question. Then my mind raced to the ambulance option. I live in a zoning quagmire. Regardless of that, the way paramedics and cops work nowadays, I would have immediately drawn suspicion insofar as I might have capped the chick in the knee with a baseball bat.

I don't need that sort of scrutiny. The Boys in Blue do alright with traffic stops and catching guys driving around at 10 o'clock in the morning with a hangover. With the guns, and indictment, and a fucked up bitch, they were the last thing I needed.

Luckily, I was able to contact a friend who transported her to the Emergency Room.

BTW, the knee-cap was completely shattered. My flower budget just went up.

knee Posted by Picasa

Comments:
That's simply awful. The pain must have been unimaginable. Poor girl. Treat her right, she's got a long road to recovery.

I'd really caution you about drinking period, until this stuff gets cleared up. Once the police realize you have something pending in the system, they'll try and stick you with whatever they can, especially if it's close to what the original charge was. The prosecutor can show a pattern if you get another charge for PI or something. They're evil. All of this is going to necessarily enforce a lifestyle change that's going to suck. Put up most of the arsenal, just in case of emergency like what you have here. Live like a teetotaller monk.

Were you my client, that would be my advice to you. It sucks, but that's the unpleasant reality of the situation. You have to be beyond squeaky clean now. You might be tempted to rebel at this point, but you won't dent the system a lick by going to jail.

Not harping, just some advice as a laywer who has seen his fair share of people getting double and triple-whammied by the system once they're on its radar. You will get no slack from the police whatsoever while this is pending. None. So don't tempt fate. It's just not worth it.
 
Kyle,
Appreciate your input and you are exactly correct. If we could do the whole thing over again it would be different, but hindsight is 20/20 or better, isn't it. I just keep telling Ben, one step at a time, it will come back around.
I guess cops are just a necessary evil, it seemed to be different in my day and that was in the 60's. Something changed.
THE OLD MAN
 
That would really really suck...

Well I hope that knee gets better soon...
 
that looks bad! I hope things are better by now.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?