Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Atlanta Shooting

UPDATE: You can ignore my amateurish attempt to analyze this incident as Jack Dunphy at NRO has weighed in. I've been an avid fan of his for several years and will always defer to him on matters involving law-enforcement.

First off, the obvious. It is not a good idea to have a female guard who is half the size of a culprit accused of raping a woman over three days and who is twice the size of said guard. This may be considered sexist, but I'm of a small enough frame that I would rather a larger man take care of something like this.

What really shocks me, as it is something I never knew, is the fact that the state cannot put the defendant on the stand while wearing restraints, because that would prejudice the jury. I don't know if this is state or federal, precedent or law, but I will be looking into it. Apparently, certain forums stretch this law into the actual entrance of the accused, which is why said mutant had a free hand to subdue his guard and secure her weapon.

Last off, court security supervisors ought to be consulting with prison wardens on how to run their details. Obviously, it is a good thing for there to be armed guards in a courtroom. However, I don't think they should be close enough to the accused that there weapon is in sight and reachable.

It sucks to do the hindsight thing with a tragedy like this. However, the lackluster procedures that the court and law enforcement took made this even possible.

Here in the Land of Enchantment, no guns are allowed by anyone in the courtroom. My weapon of choice would be a spoon that I sharpened into a shiv.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?