Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Range Report

It's been 3-4 weeks since I've made it to the range. Normally I would just bitch about the weather and my job and that would be it, but I'm attending Boomershoot this year. As such, I'm attempting to make a Ruger .30-06 with a featherweight barrel into a long range shooter. Based on the results, I might actually pull it off.

If you forgot about my Bozo looking rifle check here. If you haven't seen how much change I've dropped on the completely outrageous scope, see here.

This was the first scope I'd ever mounted without advice. It was also the first 30 mm tube and the first Ruger mount system. For weeks I was sure I had completely fucked it up. The first 3-round group I did at the range was nowhere to be found. I almost gave up at that point.

The old man did a bit of spotting for me and within the half-hour I was shooting groups like the one pictured below. Practiced at that level a bit and then moved out to 200 yards. Averaging about a 3-inch group at that range.

It was a weird range day because I was more chuffed that I didn't screw up the scope than I was with my performance.

At the same time, it's been a bit weird. I am so focused on long-range shit that there is not a lot of interaction between me and the old man. He bottomed out the sights on his Garand and got them indexed right. He was shooting pretty killer groups as well. At the end of the day, when we were all worn out, he did 3 shots through the .30-06 and I did a clip through the Garand. Of course neither one of us hit shit. Once Boomershoot comes, it will be back to spotting for each other and my gross egocentrism should diminish.

Good groups, good day. By the way, if you have the means, I highly recommend the Leupold MK4 Tactical with a Mil-dot reticle. It is a sweet, sweet scope.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?