Monday, October 11, 2004

Small Gripe

I believe about 10% of the population is left-handed. I happen to be one of those poor slobs.

For those of you right-handers out there, you have no idea the trials and tribulations of being a southpaw. If you shoot a Garand you tend to catch 4-5 hot casings in the face per clip. Then the clip bounces off of your head. Almost worse than that, once in awhile a casing will hit your muffs, which is tantamount to blowing out an ear drum. (Full disclosure: one of the reasons I love the AR-15 is that little brass-deflector that Uncle Sam, in all of his wisdom placed rear of the ejection port.)

Bolt-action rifles are an especially big pain in the ass. I spent about 6 months trying to find a varmint caliber bolt action. Finally through diligence and mostly luck, I found a heavy barrel Remington 700 in .223. It has a fiberglass stock, which I'm not a big fan of, but beggars can't be choosers.

Then you have the fact that all of my shooting buddies refer to me as "cripple" or "gimp." It's even been floated that I should sue under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Well today I had another small reminder. I ordered a knife from Benchmade about 6 months ago. It was backordered. The reason I give so much business to Benchmade is the fact that they are one of the few quality knife makers that have a pocket clip that can be moved to accomodate tip-up left-hand carry.

Here's the culprit: http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.asp?model=630

Needless to say, after the extended wait, it finally showed up today. It is strictly a tip-down, right hand style clip. Tip-down I find to be the most undeployable knife there is. These sorts of things are strictly taste, but I can deploy my Case pocket knife quicker than this thing.

Needless to say, it is a beautiful instrument. I guess I just got another showpiece or an early Christmas present for someone.

Comments:
Is that a typo in there? "Tip-up I find to be the most undeployable knife there is."

FWIW, I prefer tip-up too. You grab it in just the right way to flip it open. Tip-down knives you have to kinda spin it around to flip it open.
 
You are correct. The instrument in question is tip down, which is the configuration I find undeployable.

Will correct in post
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?